Market Screener (FA & TA)
The ShareInvestor Market Screener is a powerful stock screening utility to complement and complete the suite of market data tools and financial applications that come with your basic ShareInvestor membership plans. It allows the user to find real time investment and trading opportunities that fit the chosen criteria that are grouped under 3 sets of conditions. The conditions are broadly categorized as:
- Fundamental Analysis Conditions;
- Technical Analysis Conditions; and
- Consensus Estimates Conditions; and
- Price and Other Conditions.
Please refer to the following figures for details of the screening conditions.
Fundamental Analysis Conditions
Technical Analysis Conditions
Consensus Estimates Conditions
Price and Other Conditions
This vast selection of criteria blended by AND and OR operators offers our users with a unique and powerful screening tool to scan for opportunities in bullish or bearish market conditions with the exact setup that any investor or trader is looking for. When combined with the existing features like building watchlists, researching companies’ background, ongoing monitoring of operating performance, analyzing operating and stock performance with ratio analysis and charting, etc., users will be fully equipped to plan and capitalize on identified opportunities.
- Combining the power of FA and TA: The ShareInvestor Market Screener combines the power of FA and TA blended by AND and OR operators.
- Screen using Current Information: ShareInvestor Market Screener screens with current information instead of historical information (e.g. last done price instead of previous day close) which is especially important for TA criteria when scanning for breakouts.
- Ease in modifying criteria: Easy to modify criteria parameters, allowing Screens to be fine-tuned to produce a manageable range of outputs for further drilling down with focused research and evaluation.
- Trend Screening: ShareInvestor Market Screener is able to screen using trend criteria compared to other screeners available in the market. Example of trend screening include: Profit growth by at least 10% yearly for the past 5 years.
- Share price above $0.70 with a Beta (75 days) of more than 1 and RSI Oversold (Combination of all 3 categories of criteria)
- MACD Bullish Crossover with RSI Oversold and Volume Spike (3 TA criteria)
- Share price below $1.50 with high Dividend Yield and RSI Oversold
- Bullish price breakout for profitable companies with daily volume of at least 100,000 shares and priced between $0.10 to $1.00
- Low PE companies giving at least 5% dividend yield for the past 5 years
- Companies whose current price is close to 6 months low with average daily volume of at least 10 lots and market capitalization of at least $100M
- Companies whose share price is less than $1 and with revenue of at least $100M and at least 25% net profit margin generating free cash flow with no debt
- And others. The combinations of various criteria and parameters gives you endless possibilities.
A Step-by-step Guide
- Open the Market Screener by moving your pointer to the Screener tab.
- Click on Market Screener to open the Market Screener page
- Before beginning a screen, Select Market and click on Add “AND” Criteria to begin. The “Conditions” screen pops up. The first criterion may be selected from any of (i) Fundamental Analysis Conditions; (ii) Technical Analysis Conditions; or (iii) Price Conditions and is entirely up to the user. The user can select as few or as many criteria as he wants. If a criterion is not selected, the default for that criterion is “Any”.
- EXAMPLE 1: let us do a screen for all companies that have a share price above $0.70 with Beta (75 days) of more than 1.5 and RSI Oversold. Therefore this screen will have 3 criteria, namely:
- Share Price
- Check the “Last Done Price” box from Price Conditions and click on Add Criteria and select/fill in the chosen Operator and fields. In this example, we chose “more than $0.70”. In the same way, we add the next 2 criteria by choosing from Fundamental Analysis Criteria Beta (75 days) more than 1.5 times and from Technical Analysis Conditions RSI Oversold (RSI 14 below 30 for 5 days) and then run Screen Now. (If we change our mind on any of the criteria, we can delete and add any time before running the screen.)
- There are 11 companies meeting this blend of conditions. The Screen Results are shown below.
- We need not take this set of Screen Results as final as screening is as much art as science. We can modify the screen criteria to other values, or we can add additional criteria to increase or decrease the length of the list. Assume for this example that we are happy with the output.
- What we can we do next:
- If we hover the pointer over the company’s name, the “quick access box” that users are already familiar with pops up to provide useful information as well as functionalities (e.g. adding the stock to a watchlist, quick links to various data, etc.)
- We can also click on Historical Watch and Volume Distribution to view the corresponding thumbnail charts.
- We are also able to export the Screen Results by clicking on “More” by way of copying to clipboard or export to Excel. We can also print the results.
- EXAMPLE 2: In this example, we illustrate the use of the OR operator and trend screening. Instead of just scanning for companies which pay at least 5% dividend yield now, you can get the Screener to scan for companies which pay at least 5% dividend yield for the past 5 years, OR whose profit has grown by at least 10% yearly for the past 5 years. Therefore this screen will have 2 criteria, namely:
- Dividend Yield
- Net Earnings Growth
- Check the “Dividend Yield (Historical)” box from Price Conditions and click on Add Criteria and select/fill in the chosen Operator and fields. In this example, we chose “more than 5% for the past 5 financial years”. In order to use the OR operator, we have to use “Advanced Mode”. In the same way, we add the next criterion by clicking on “Add “OR” Criteria” by choosing from Fundamental Analysis Criteria Net Earnings Growth “more than 10% for the past 5 financial years” and then run Screen Now.
- There are 35 companies meeting this blend of conditions. The Screen Results are shown partially below.
Users are reminded that the Market Screener is not a trading system. The screen results are not to be taken as advice to buy or sell the identified stocks. Each user should go through with his usual self-analysis of his risk appetite and perform additional stock research and analysis before making any investment or trading decisions. There is a wide scope for learning and sharing each set of screen result using the tool provided. The progression to become an expert user using this tool is limited only by his capacity to learn and profit from his live experience using ShareInvestor to invest and trade.